BREAKING NEWS: US Cong. Tom Marino hopes to take drug czar job

Another big Valley congressional district could be open

WASHINGTON — Nearly four months to the day after his mother’s critical illness led him to turn down the job as US drug czar, US Congressman Tom Marino (R-10th, Cogan Station) said he’ll take the job. If his nomination is approved, for the second time in a week, a Valley US congressional seat will be open the next election.

 

The White House said Friday President Donald Trump will nominate Cong. Marino to lead the Office of National Drug Control Policy.  The job requires senate approval.  It was May 3 of this year, Marino said he wasn’t interested in the job because his mother was ill. The status of her illness isn’t known.

 

The 64-year-old Republican congressman has been an early and ardent Pres. Trump supporter, and was the first Pennsylvania congressman to endorse Trump in the presidential primary contest.

Marino is a former Lycoming County D-A, served as U.S. attorney in Pennsylvania’s Middle District, and was an attorney for the embattled Louis DeNaples

 

Marino’s 11th District seat would be vacant if he takes the job. Governor Tom Wolf would call a special election to fill the vacancy.   The candidates in that election would be selected by each political party. Last week, US Congressman Lou Barletta (R-11th, Hazelton) announced he would vacate his congressional seat to run for US Senate.

About The Author