Tom Marino to reporters: Health issues forced resignation

 

COGAN STATION – The declining health of former U.S. Congressman Tom Marino has been talked about locally for weeks, but he recently broke his silence and told reporters of his condition. Marino spoke with PennLive, Daily Item and WNEP about his recurring kidney disease and recent surgery.

The 66-year-old Marino told the news outlets, the recent surgery found the lining in his kidney was deteriorating and doctors went in to clean it out. He says he doesn’t have cancer at this point, but will be undergoing more tests and surgeries in the coming weeks.

With all this going on, Marino says he knew it was the right time to step away.  Marino says he’s been overwhelmed by constituents support. He said last month he would be taking a job in the private sector.

Marino has battled cancer since 1999 when he announced his left kidney was removed. Marino resigned January 23 and a special election to replace him will be held May 21.

About The Author