SUNBURY – A Sunbury man, who has admitted to police he hit something and drove away, was arrested and arraigned Tuesday in the August fatal hit and run of Ron Clark in Northumberland. Northumberland police charged 82-year-old Wayne Wetzel of Susquehanna Avenue in Sunbury. Court papers say police found out Wetzel was the driver when his children called police and said their father was the man police were looking for. Police say Wetzel said to them, “I’m the guy, I did it.”
Wetzel is accused of hitting 71-year-old Ron Clark of Northumberland on August 17. The incident happened near Orange and Second Streets, near the borough police station. Police have video of a vehicle backing up and leaving the scene. Clark died at Geisinger just over a week later. Police spoke to Wetzel and his family in September.
Wetzel Tuesday waived his right to a hearing and is free on $10,000 unsecured bail. He was arraigned in front of magistrate Mike Toomey. Wetzel is facing a second-degree felony charge of accident involving death or personal injury. He also faces a third-degree felony charge of homicide by a motor vehicle, and other summary charges.
Wetzel could face a combined 17-years in prison and combined fines of up to $40,000.
On social media and in the community, there had been calls for police to expedite the case and make an arrest.


