PA Headlines 2/22/22 A compilation of state headlines
LEWISBURG – PennLive is reporting… An estimated 300 Bucknell students walked out of class Monday afternoon to rally and demand answers and accountability from the university administration and Public Safety. “In my four years at Bucknell I have watched so many friends suffer injustice and go through the proper channels to seek recourse only to be met with more injustice,” organizer Jillie Santos, a senior from River Edge, New Jersey, told the crowd in science/engineering quad.
There are “multiple levels of institutional injustice which make it impossible for students to feel safe on campus or feel like there would be accountability if something were to happen to them,” she said. Santos cited the allegations that recently retired public safety chief Stephen J. Barilar destroyed evidence in a case in which a female student reported a male using his cell phone invaded her privacy in a dormitory restroom.
Santos also referred to the whistleblower suit against Bucknell by former public safety officer Colby M. Snook who claims he resigned Nov. 15 because of the retaliation for reporting the alleged destruction of evidence.
“We are here because we demand to be seen by this university, Santos said. “We demand accountability and transparency. We want the administration to respond and for Public Safety to work with students. We demand safety and security on this campus.”
Santos listed these other specific demands:
- A response from the administration to the allegations against Barilar by affirming support for victims and denouncing misconduct.
- Provide action plans for the long-ignored letter by the Coalition of Concerned Students regarding the mistreatment of the Black community at Bucknell by Public Safety that was sent two years ago.
- Create a Public Safety advisory committee composed completely of student leaders without any members from the administration that would exercise oversight and control over the department’s policy and conduct.
- Access to body cameras and internal recordings in internal disciplinary action cases.
- Regular forums between Stanley Morgan, the new Public Safety chief, and the student body. Morgan observed part of the rally from the back of the crowd.
Bucknell issued this statement following the rally, “Bucknell University values and seeks to protect the free and open exchange of ideas on our campus. The safety and well-being of our students is also the university’s top priority and this will continue to be our ongoing focus. The university is aware of what was said at today’s student event. As previously planned, new Chief Anthony Morgan will present his plans for Public Safety engagement with the campus community later this semester in a public event where all will be welcome to attend, ask questions and offer feedback.”
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, P.A. (WHTM) – WHTM is reporting… A group of parents is suing the Cumberland Valley School District for making masks optional. The class action lawsuit is a claim under the American with Disabilities Act and The Rehabilitation Act. The parents named ‘John Doe and Jane Doe’ in the lawsuit claim their kids cannot attend school in person if other students are not masked.
Michael Dimino, Professor of Law at Widener University says some students are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The biggest question he said is “whether it is a reasonable accommodation for these children’s disabilities.” Does the district think the lawsuit is a reasonable request? ABC27 reached out to Cumberland Valley on Monday, Feb. 21. The district responded, saying, “We are aware of the lawsuit that was recently filed against the District. As requested by our District Solicitor, we do not comment on matters of pending litigation.”.

