PA Headlines: Luzerne Co. School Separates Masked From Unmasked

PA Headlines 1/19/22 What follows is a compilation of PA Headlines…

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — AP is reporting… A statewide court has given lawmakers and Gov. Tom Wolf two weeks to break a stalemate around redrawing Pennsylvania’s congressional districts to account for a decade of demographic shifts.  The Commonwealth Court issued the order Friday, acting on a request last month for it to get involved in the process. It set Jan. 30 for the deadline for it to render its judgment on proposals that are submitted to it.  That deadline is barely two weeks before the date — Feb. 15 — when candidates can start circulating petitions to get on primary election ballots. The primary election is May 17.

Any opinion by the Commonwealth Court is likely to be appealed to the state Supreme Court, raising the prospect that the petition window for congressional candidates will be delayed.  The Commonwealth Court told parties in the case — including lawmakers, activists and Wolf — that they must submit a proposed map by 5 p.m. on Jan. 24.  In this year’s election, Pennsylvania is losing a congressional seat, dropping from 18 to 17, to reflect population changes over the past decade reported by the U.S. Census that shows it growing more slowly than the rest of the nation. The delegation is currently split evenly, with nine Democrats and nine Republicans.  Courts also picked or drew Pennsylvania’s congressional map in 1992 and 2018.

PITTSBURGH – The Pittsburgh Tribune Review is reporting… Pittsburgh City Council is considering a measure that would require city police to document why they are stopping and searching a pedestrian before they do so.  The measure, introduced Tuesday by Councilman Ricky Burgess, would require officers to use a body-worn camera or vehicle-mounted recording device to document their reasonable suspicion for initiating a “stop-and-frisk” of a pedestrian.  Stop-and-frisk refers to incidents where police stop, search or detain a pedestrian without a warrant.  “The police officers stop-and-frisk disproportionately African Americans,” Burgess said. “Close to 70% of those encounters are with Black people. It creates an atmosphere of intimidation.”  This legislation, he said, would reduce racial profiling in such stops, as officers would have to document a clear reason for initiating the stop.

If the stop-and-frisk does not result in an arrest, the officer would be required to provide the pedestrian with documentation explaining the reasonable suspicion that led to the stop. There will be exceptions to this requirement if “officer safety or confidential requirements” would prevent officers from sharing the information.  The legislation does not put an end to all pedestrian stops, Burgess said. He acknowledged that it’s important for police to have the discretion to make these stops if they feel there is a justifiable reason.  The Bureau of Police will review the legislation and analyze how it fits with existing policy, Public Safety spokeswoman Cara Cruz said.  The legislation calls for the Bureau of Police to provide an annual review of the policy to the Department of Public Safety and City Council.  The measure could be ready for a final vote in as soon as two weeks.

WRIGHT TOWNSHIP, LUZERNE COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU) — WBRE is reporting… Officials at a Luzerne County School District getting push back from parents regarding a plan to separate masked and unmasked students in its elementary schools.  The plan which was supposed to be in place Tuesday has been pulled back because of pressure from parents. The controversy has been simmering in the Crestwood School District for the past several days.  It all has to do with a plan to seat masked students in one part of the classroom and unmasked in another part of the classroom.  District officials insist the intent was not to separate students but to help keep them safe from COVID.

“The concern I have right now is the separation of the children between masked and unmasked,” said Erik Kemmerer, a parent.  Kemmerer’s 8-year-old daughter is a second-grade student at Rice Elementary School. She does not wear a mask. Crestwood is a parent’s choice district when it comes to mask-wearing which Kemmerer supports. But he does not support the district’s decision to separate the masked and unmasked students.  “If they are in the front or back if they put unmasked in the back that could have an impact on learning,” stated Kemmerer.  Kemmerer says he is concerned about division among students.

“We know how kids are. Are they going to treat each other different?” explained Kemmerer.  However, the superintendent of schools, Robert Mehalick says the plan was to add another layer of COVID safety inside the classroom and to follow CDC guidelines which calls for six feet of distance between masked and unmasked individuals.   “So this of course is an empty classroom envisioning a classroom of students on one side the distance of six feet will be right in the middle between the masked and unmasked,” stated Mehalick.  Mehalick says the plan was to place students on either side of the classroom.

“If I have a student unmasked that would have tested positive. I could immediately eliminate anybody who’s six feet away too close contact trace that was the entire intent. The same way we do it in our lunch room,” explained Mehalick.  But he sent an email to teachers in the elementary schools to revert back to the original seating plan for students.  “We heard from parents and i respect from the parents. I’ve heard again.. I stand by there was never any intent to do anything more than to limit the number of students that will need to quarantine if there should be close contact,” stated Mehalick.  Mehalick insists the plan was to keep students as safe as possible from COVID but as of now, the plan is history.

About The Author