Nine Taken to Hospital After CO Leak in Milton

MILTON — The Standard-Journal is reporting… Nine people were transported to Evangelical Community Hospital, Lewisburg, for evaluations as the result of a carbon monoxide incident which broke out Thursday morning at Keystone Recycling, located at 13 Industrial Park Road, Milton. 

Milton Fire Department Chief Scott Derr said the incident unfolded as his department’s mobile intensive care unit responded to a medical call at the facility. “When (the medics) arrived, their CO meters that they carry on all their bags started to alert,” Derr said. 

He said, “One of the EMS providers also became ill. The (medic’s) supervisor, who happened to be on scene with them, was persistent about evacuating the building and getting the fire department on the street.”  

When Milton firefighters arrived at the facility, Derr said their meters detected 200 parts per million (ppm) of carbon monoxide. The leak has been attributed to faulty equipment at the facility.  

About The Author