Snyder County chicken house half-million dollar loss after fire

 

Photos courtesy: Sara Lauver

PORT TREVORTON— A chicken house in the Port Trevorton area is a total loss after it burned down Wednesday morning and it could result in up to $500,000 in damages. Port Trevorton Deputy Fire Chief Derrick Cook says the fire was caused by a heater in the building. He says the owner was pre-heating the building preparing for turkeys that were due to arrive the next day.

Cook says the blaze occurred around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at 58 Dunmore Road, near Routes 11 and 15 south of Selinsgrove. Cook says the fire was fully involved upon arrival and the structure collapsed as a result. The building was empty at the time.  There were no injuries or animal loss. Cook says crews had the fire out around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday and cleared the scene between 11:30 a.m. and noon. Cook says a state fire marshal has already visited the scene.

Volunteer fire crews from DH&L, Fremont, Port Trevorton, Liverpool, Middleburg and Shamokin Dam responded.

About The Author